Book Title: Mr. Popper's Penguins
Authors: Richard and Florence Atwater
Reading Level: Middle-Grade (all middle-grade)
My Rating: 4/5 Stars
Content Rating: G (no concerns)
Tidbit: When house-painter Mr. Popper receives a package from Australia containing a penguin, hilarious antics ensue!
Mr. Popper makes a living by painting houses and wall-papering walls. But his real dream has always been to travel, especially to Antarctica. Since that isn't a possibility, he instead immerses himself in books and radio shows about penguins, the Antarctic, and the explorations there of Admiral Drake. One day, Mr. Popper gets the surprise of his life when he opens a large box shipped to him from Antarctica, and life gets kind of crazy in the Popper house!
I thought this story was cute, though definitely unrealistic.
But my 8 1/2 year old LOVED it. She kept laughing while reading, and
when I would tell her what part I was in, she would say, "isn't that
hilarious!?!" That alone endears the book to me a bit more. And I think
it would make a super-fun family read-aloud!
There was a movie made of this book in the 2010s, I believe. It stars Jim Carrey. I checked it out from the library and planned to have an enjoyable movie night with my kids. Well, we lasted about 15 minutes. My kids weren't all that interested, and honestly, they changed the details of the book almost from the word go; with Mr. Popper being a saavy and somewhat conceited sales-man in the movie. I was bummed we couldn't enjoy it, but it may be fun for others!
Look for my Mom and Me Book Club post coming soon for this book! (I'm just slacking a bit on it.)
There was a movie made of this book in the 2010s, I believe. It stars Jim Carrey. I checked it out from the library and planned to have an enjoyable movie night with my kids. Well, we lasted about 15 minutes. My kids weren't all that interested, and honestly, they changed the details of the book almost from the word go; with Mr. Popper being a saavy and somewhat conceited sales-man in the movie. I was bummed we couldn't enjoy it, but it may be fun for others!
Look for my Mom and Me Book Club post coming soon for this book! (I'm just slacking a bit on it.)

No comments:
Post a Comment