Saturday, March 26, 2022

Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe

 

Book Title:  Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty
Author: Patrick Radden Keefe
Audiobook Performer: Patrick Radden Keefe
My Rating: 5/5 Stars
Content Rating: R (for language, drug use)
Tidbit: A shocking look into the Sackler family and the drug that made them their billions (OxyContin) and helped America fall into an opioid crisis.


"Of course, Oxycontin was stronger than morphine, that was a simple fact of chemistry, but one that the company would need to carefully obscure. After all, there were only so many cancer patients... The real jackpot was non-malignant pain." 


My husband is sick of hearing me talk about this book, I'm sure. But I could not believe it. It completely blew my mind. Just this morning I was telling my dad about it. Let me go ahead and warn that my review will not do this book justice. I've been pondering this for a day and I know I won't find the right words. So check out my stories for the reviews that motivated me to read this book. 

I'm pretty naive in a lot of ways about the drug world. But even I had heard of the opioid crisis in America before this book. Well, this book takes you into the history of the Sackler family, the family who started Purdue Pharma. And Purdue Pharma produced and marketed OxyContin/Oxycodone. And that drug was largely responsible for the crisis. 

Deceit, infidelity, narcissism, greed, power, corruption (including in governmental agencies)... it's all here in the pages of this book. It kind of reminded me of another book I read about the Stock Market Crash in the 1980s called Den of Thieves. 

At 18 hours, this audiobook was a commitment... but I say this honestly: it never dragged for me. I was riveted. If you already have strong feelings against Big Pharma, this book won't give you warm fuzzies. 

"If the true personality of oxycodone was misunderstood by America's doctors, [Purdue] would not correct that misunderstanding; instead, they would exploit it."

No comments: