Book Title: The Last House on the Street
Author: Diane Chamberlain
Audiobook Performer: Susan Bennett
My Rating: 4/5 stars
Content Rating: R (mature themes, racial injustice, violence, murder, language)
This was my first Diane Chamberlain
book, and it did not disappoint! I went into this one mostly blind, which I don't
typically do. But it was audio, so I didn't have a book jacket handy to
read a run-down. I knew it had an eerie/creepy aspect to it, but not
too scary. But beyond that, I really didn't know what to expect.
This book is written in dual timeline (1965 and 2010), which is a format I really enjoy. We begin by meeting Kayla in 2010, an architect whose
husband died after falling from a ladder while helping build their dream
home. After a mysterious visit from a woman who advises Kayla not to
move into the house at the end of the street, Kayla is understandably
shaken.
Then we meet
Ellie, a well-to-do white twenty year old who joins civil rights
activists one summer in North Carolina, much to the chagrin of her
family and friends.
As the two stories unfold, these two women will find themselves connected in unexpected ways.
While
I was able to figure out some of what was coming, there were a few
extra twists I wasn't expecting. And the story itself was very
compelling. I think the narrator did an excellent job, which is a big
deal for me with fiction, it turns out.
Definitely
a good read, though it makes me sad to contemplate that these kinds of
things really happened. Hate is so destructive.
Content warnings: some language, racial injustice, murder

No comments:
Post a Comment