Thursday, April 7, 2022

Born Survivors by Wendy Holden

 

Book Title: Born Survivors: Three Young Mothers and Their Extraordinary Courage, Defiance, and Hope
Author: Wendy Holden
My Rating: 3.75/5 Stars
Content Rating: R for war violence and concentration camp atrocities
Tidbit: The stories of three Jewish women who carried and delivered their miracle babies while in concentration camps ruled by the Nazis.
Quote: "'The more people who know about what happened, the less likely it is to happen again, I hope,' [Anka] said. 'This is a story which should teach people that it mustn't happen again.'"

So many of the events during World War 2, and specifically the Holocaust, were horrifying and unbelievable. The worst atrocities imaginable... and then some. 

Yet even in the midst of all that unspeakable horror, there were miracles. This is the story of such a miracle. Three of them, in fact. This is the story of three Jewish women who experienced some of the worst things humans can do to each other.  But is also the story of the babies they each carried and then delivered in the worst of circumstances and the vilest conditions. It is the story of three miracle babies who were born survivors. 

I'm not sure the reason, but this book took me about 2 months to finish. Was it the heaviness of the content? Or was I just not giving it its due time, and was instead prioritizing other books over it? I'm not sure. I do feel the book was very detail heavy. The history of each mother was given before her time in the concentration camp. This one also ranks up there with one of the most raw World War 2 books I've ever read, as far as description of what life was like, particularly once these women had been taken into the concentration camp existence. It is not easy stuff. 

But so unbelievably amazing that these three women: Priska, Rachel, and Anka, fought to survive for the life they carried within them. While their bodies wasted away, another tiny body was growing within each of theirs. That alone seems impossible. Yet it happened. A true miracle. Three miracles. Proof that life - and love - can overcome hate and death. I believe, ultimately, that is the truth.

No comments: