Anyway, when making a list for books to read with my 8 year old this year, I felt like this one should be included. Now that I've read it, I can see that it really is a timeless story that all "tween" kids should read or hear, especially girls. But I'll save the rest of my thoughts for my official review :).
Below are the questions my daughter and I discussed after we'd both finished the book (some questions may be slight spoilers!):
Of the 3 main characters, who do you think you're most like?
Do you think Wanda realized Peggy was making fun of her?
Do you think Wanda was lying - or intentionally misleading - about the 100 dresses? Why or why not?
Were you surprised by who won the drawing contest and what that revealed about the story?
Do you think Peggy changed after this experience? If so, how? And if not, why not?
Do you think Maddie changed after this experience? If so, how? And if not, why not?
Have you ever been like Peggy? Or Wanda? Or Maddie?
Do you think Wanda realized Peggy was making fun of her?
Do you think Wanda was lying - or intentionally misleading - about the 100 dresses? Why or why not?
Were you surprised by who won the drawing contest and what that revealed about the story?
Do you think Peggy changed after this experience? If so, how? And if not, why not?
Do you think Maddie changed after this experience? If so, how? And if not, why not?
Have you ever been like Peggy? Or Wanda? Or Maddie?
That last question probably brought about the best discussion -- more on my part than on hers. As a 6th grader, I can so vividly remember a time when I was a Peggy. I regret that to this day. And I'm grateful this book opened an opportunity to talk openly with my 8 year old, who is on the cusp of those hard middle-school years, about a poor choice I once made and how much I wish I could go back and fix it. We all make mistakes, but we can learn from them and not repeat them. Kindness is always the best choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment