Book Title: Hatchet
Author: Gary Paulsen
Book Series: Brian's Saga (book 1)
Reading Level: middle-grade to Young Adult
My Content Rating: PG (recommend for more mature readers)
My Star Rating: 4/5 stars
Tidbit: Coming of age survival story geared toward upper-middle grade and younger YA readers.
I've seen this book around a lot over the
years. Since my very first job was in the Children's Room of a public
library, and then I continued in the library world for years after that,
I probably shelved it a time or two. But until now, I'd never read it. I didn't even know what it was about, but it won a Newbery Honor award, so I figured it had to have some value to it.
Turns out it's a survival story. And it was quite a ride! Brian
Robeson is on his way to spend the summer with his dad for the first
time following his parents' divorce. Brian is still trying to come to
terms with all that has happened, including the secret he knows led to
the divorce. In the middle of the flight, which he alone shared with
the pilot, somewhere over Canada, the pilot has a heart attack, and the
plane goes down. Miraculously, Brian survives the crash, but can be
survive in the wild alone until help arrives?
I'm not going to lie, this book felt pretty stressful for me.
I listened to it on audio, and the added musical aspects certainly
added to the suspense and anxiety of the book for me. The reader, Peter Coyote, did a great job, and there were times I thought he reminded me of Tom Hanks (who I listened to reading The Dutch House by Anne Patchett last month, and I'll eventually get around to reviewing here). Hatchet is a
well-crafted novel, and I was very interested to know how it would end.
It was also to awesome to watch the character growth.
I don't feel like there are any
major content concerns (though the secret is mature in nature). I would
recommend for older middle-grade and YA. But that's based on my own
readers. This book would freak my kids out at their current ages.
No comments:
Post a Comment