In April 2011, many
states experienced some of the worst storms ever recorded. That month,
Alabama was hit with several major tornadoes which killed hundreds and
wounded thousands. In some cases, entire towns were demolished. This is
the story of some of the worst storms that hit on April 27, 2011,
particularly the large tornado which destroyed much of the city of
Tuscaloosa where the University of Alabama is located. Damaged though
many cities were, example after example was found of people working
together to help each other and recover from these devastating storms.
***This
book was terrifying, intense, and absolutely eye-opening. I read it,
because I lived in Tuscaloosa and attended graduate school at UA from
2006-2008. When the tornado went through, it was shocking. Thankfully,
none of my dear friends there were hurt. Reading this book gave me a
whole new appreciation for tornadoes and the power they have and the
damage they can inflict. It has made me want to be better prepared to
help others with first aid in the event of a major natural disaster
where I live, because this book painted a picture of how difficult it
can be for emergency services to reach people after such an event, and
how we all need to lean on each other. I could not put the book down and
would recommend it. It was very detailed and vivid, though, so it may
be hard to read for some.