Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Jane Eyre -- Charlotte Bronte

Orphaned at a young age, Jane Eyre found herself the charge of an unloving aunt-in-law who despised her and eventually sent young Jane away to a school for orphans. Finding there a kind teacher and headmistress, Jane is able to blossom and eventually become a teacher at the school. But Jane is not content to stay put. Eventually she desires to expand her horizons, so she advertises her services in a newspaper and is soon hired on as a governess in a wealthy home. There she meets Edward Rochester, the owner of the home. Though at first he is off-putting in his sternness, he and Jane eventually fall in love and plan to be married.

But life has other plans. A long-held secret is revealed on Jane and Edward's wedding day, causing Jane to flee Thornfield Hall. She finds herself a pauper and happens to beg at the right home in a little town. There, the local parson and his sisters take her in and nurse her back to health. Given a chance to begin afresh, Jane proves her strength as a woman and eventually comes into her own.

***I think I simply don't like the style of writing of some of these 19th-century English novels... They are so wordy that I take forever to get into them. I am a lover of language, but these just seem superfluous. That said, once I got into the story, I was excited to continue reading. There were unanticipated twists that Bronte added to the story expertly. I found myself wondering what decisions Jane would make as the story drew to a close and was almost certain, for a while, I would be disgusted with her choice. I was pleasantly surprised at the end, though. All in all a good read. Just wish there was a little less (what I consider) unnecessary description.