Wednesday, February 25, 2015

John Adams -- David McCullough

The life of America's second President, John Adams. Beginning with his birth and early education (and what he thought he would do at first...) and culminating with his death in the same town in which he was born, this book covers all of the significant contributions Adams made to the start of this new nation, not the least of which was being "The Voice" of the Declaration of Independence (while Jefferson was "The Pen").


*** I really liked this book. I've been interested in John Adams since my childhood days of watching the musical 1776 with my mom. This book has been on my to-read wish list for some time, and I'm glad I finally made it a priority. I learned an immense amount, not just about Adams, but also about that period of history in the world. My eyes were opened to so many things, and I was amazed at how tumultuous a time it really was as our nation struggled to become one. The majority of the book was a very fast read for me, though hitting part III slowed me down a bit. But it picked back up and I was anxious to keep turning pages and soaking in more information. I read several excerpts to my husband, who said that is how he knows I am enjoying a book -- when I want to share it with him! So yes, if you have any interest in John Adams or the era of the Revolutionary War, I would recommend this book!