Tuesday, January 6, 2015

If I Stay - Gayle Forman

On a snow-dusted morning, Mia and her family pile into the family car and head to visit relatives. But they never arrive there. Instead, Mia sees the horrors of a car accident that left her parents dead and her younger brother Teddy in a hospital. Mia can't believe she wasn't harmed in the accident that killed her parents... Until she finds her own body and realizes she was. And she is seeing everything from outside herself.

While in the hospital, Mia comes to realizes she is still here because she gets to choose if she stays. And so Mia spends the following 24 hours remembering, pondering, and deciding. Does she stay with the friends, boyfriend, and hopes of the future (Julliard, graduation, possibly marriage one day)? Or does she let go and join her family, for before long, she learns she's even lost her little brother.

Only Mia can choose. And the choice is not an easy one.


***So this was a quick read. I just didn't like it. I didn't care for a lot of the behaviors condoned in the novel and felt irritated by a lot of it. I don't plan on reading the sequel.